Did you know that some study abroad locations can cost you less than remaining at your UC campus for a year? It’s true! Check out 23 countries where you can save money.
In Israel, you can pursue a study path or passion that leads to a career. Most of all, you can pursue your interests while gaining a unique perspective of the modern Middle East.
- Learn how to develop a business plan for your own startup
- Design new products that support a sustainable way of life
- Research the impact of pesticide exposure on farm workers
- Study modern dance and art
- Immerse in Arabic language study
Average savings for a year abroad: $3,010
Pedal past charming canals on your bike commute to the University of Copenhagen in Scandinavian Denmark.
- Study folk traditions through American books, film and music
- Try your hand at cool climate viticulture
- Intern with a company developing new green energy solutions
Tip: See what a returning student had to say about her experience.
Average savings for a year abroad: $3,930
With more than a dozen universities available, England has something for you.
- Examine cross-national differences in journalistic ethics, style and ways to work in the UK media industry
- Analyze plays currently in production
- Follow the history and relationship between the UK police force, judicial system, and policy
Bonus: save an additional $2,000 on some programs in England with automatic scholarships.
Average savings for a year abroad: $3,980
Study abroad in Scotland and find yourself doing any number of interesting things. What’s more, there are a ton of free things to do in Edinburgh that can help you save money.
- Draft press releases and speeches for members of Scottish Parliament
- Complete a year of physics over an 8-week summer
- Review the latest psychological research related to autism spectrum disorders
Average savings for a year abroad: $4,740
Not only can you live in green and beautiful Ireland, but you can save a ton while you do it!
- Study Irish literature and poetry
- Analyze international business environments through market analysis and case studies
- Study the status, roles, and representation of women in medieval Irish and Welsh societies
Average savings for a year abroad: $5,120
Get a critical outside perspective of the U.S. while studying abroad in Germany.
- Debate the technical, legal and social aspects related to autonomous vehicles
- Learn to program a micro-controller
- Compare theories of the US Civil War and current conflicts in Asia
Bonus: save an additional $2,000 on some programs in Germany with automatic scholarships.
Average savings for a year abroad: $6,170
From Barcelona to Madrid, Granada and even lesser-known gems like Córdoba, choose from a variety of city locations when you study abroad in Spain.
- Participate in strategic business management, human resources, and marketing through computer game simulations
- Discover the nutritional science and cultural traditions behind the success of the Mediterranean diet
- Achieve Spanish language fluency with Castilian and Catalan flavors
Bonus: save an additional $2,000 on some programs in Spain with automatic scholarships.
Average savings for a year abroad: $6,660
Study abroad at a French university in either Paris, Bordeaux or Lyon and you can:
- Discover how jazz has been reinvented by musicians in France
- Write news articles for an online French newspaper
- Learn the logic, methods and tools of web marketing
- Analyze the Internet’s influence in international advertising
Bonus: save an additional $2,000 on some programs in France with automatic scholarships.
Average savings for a year abroad: $7,400
Gain new perspectives in development, science, public health, art and communication through instruction, community projects and field excursions at the University of Ghana in Accra.
- Examine the harvesting, storing and marketing practices of the fruit and vegetable industry
- Reconstruct the socioeconomic and cultural life of ancient societies within the framework of contemporary archaeologists
- Study the legal ramifications of conservation through war, trade, human rights and environmental topics
Average savings for a year abroad: $7,530
Acquire modern language skills as you live and study among the temples, shrines and markets of Kyoto, Tokyo, Osaka and other Japanese cities.
- Get up to a year of Japanese language training over a summer
- Join an experienced lab team conducting biochemical research
- Intern at the U.S. embassy for a first-hand view of current international politics and immigration laws
Average savings for a year abroad: $7,600
Join students from around the world at Yonsei University in Seoul, Korea. Enjoy trips to Jeju Island, celebrate pop culture and save even more while enjoying delicious street food.
- Develop a narrative and learn how to storyboard motion films
- Study the Korean language through speeches and debates, reading Korean novels, and writing articles, business letters, and resumes in Korean
- Explore your career passions with a summer internship
Bonus: get an automatic scholarship of $2,000 when you study in Korea.
Average savings for a year abroad: $7,870
Get an authentic Caribbean experience and insights through field courses, lab work and independent research on the sunny island of Barbados.
- Share your pre-health skills with the local community working at a clinic or hospital
- Examine the blending of indigenous, African, French, Creole and Spanish words and how they shaped the Caribbean lexicon
- Review findings from cognitive research on the role of technology and experiment with new media in classrooms
Bonus: get an automatic scholarship of $2,000 when you study in Barbados.
Average savings for a year abroad: $8,180
At the University of Oslo, there is a range of academic options as you discover the uniquely Norwegian places and ways of life that make this an amazing study abroad experience.
- Explore the stars, planets and galaxies and the electromagnetic radiation they generate
- Learn about music-related body movements in performers and analyze music-related motion
- Study the fundamentals of health economics and efficiency of health care providers
Average savings for a year abroad: $8,240
Study abroad in student-friendly cities like Utrecht, The Hague, Maastricht or Wageningen. Discover a different interactive education style focused on teamwork and group projects.
- Study foodborne disease and spoilage agents for the food industry
- Explore how modern world governments are encouraging public entrepreneurship
- Investigate the socioeconomic and political transformations that have led to conflict
Average savings for a year abroad: $8,300
Two different universities on opposite sides of Canada offer a variety of study abroad opportunities while saving you loads of money.
- Learn the science behind natural disasters and how we can predict and minimize their impact
- Join a coastal research facility
- Get field experience in topics such as aquaculture, climate change and fish physiology
Average savings for a year abroad: $8,550
With the choice of four locations, you can save money as you hone your Italian language skills.
- Take Italian language courses while designing architectural solutions with an Italian architecture firm
- Study the art, persona and political stance of Michelangelo in Renaissance Italy
- Compare the different aspects of management consulting and review the industry, its players and their services
Bonus: save an additional $2,000 on some programs in Italy with automatic scholarships.
Average savings for a year abroad: $9,300
The Scandinavian town of Lund offers a medieval architecture and modern coffee houses. Lund is also one of the most affordable study abroad options in Europe.
- Progress from basic to advanced Swedish language skills by immersing in Swedish life in Lund
- Evaluate the quality and chemical properties of pharmaceuticals and international legal regulations on the industry
- Design your own independent research project!
Experience the ultimate Southeast Asian blend of food, art, culture and language. Singapore is an ultra-modern city set within a tropical landscape.
- Perform aquatic data analysis while snorkeling through corals, sea fans and sea sponges
- Discover the forces behind urban transformation through traditional, medieval, garden and ecological city models
- Study microorganisms in indigenous foods and their effects on food preparation and preservation
Average savings for a year abroad: $11,770
Study abroad in China and you can save money while upgrading your undergraduate experience.
- Compare modern and classic versions of Chinese fairy tales and their continued cultural impact
- Learn the business tools that support making good corporate financial decisions
- Examine transnational relations between North and South Korea from a new vantage point
Bonus: save an additional $2,000 on some programs in China with automatic scholarships.
20. Hong Kong
Average savings for a year abroad: $12,650
Save money while taking classes in Hong Kong. Tour the city, its distinct culture from mainland China, favorite local dishes and more in this 3-minute guide to Hong Kong.
- Investigate the pharmacological effects of Chinese herbs to treat health conditions
- Work on policies governing cross-border water services
- Volunteer in a local school and teach English
Bonus: save an additional $2,000 on some programs in Hong Kong with automatic scholarships.
Average savings for a year abroad: $12,970
Immerse in the language as you read Chinese news, watch Chinese shows and interact with local students in Taiwan.
- Work on a team using remote sensing to study the impacts of climate change across forest monitoring sites
- Grow your Mandarin phonetic and Pinyin spelling skills
- Learn the meaning behind Buddhist art in south, central and southeast Asia
Average savings for a year abroad: $13,010
Climb a pyramid, trek a volcano, wander a floral paradise and discover magic in ancient Aztec temples.
- Observe the factors that shape a community’s response to illness
- Work with those shaping California policies on social justice for migrants
- Study the evolution of Mexican film as art, industry, entertainment and social testimony
Average savings for a year abroad: $14,540
Explore beautiful temples, floating markets and incredible food in Bangkok, the political, economic and spiritual center of Thailand.
- Observe patient care at a rural Thailand health facility
- See the public health challenges communities are facing as a result of migration
- Walk the path of enlightenment with Thai Buddhism classes
- Discover how monetary policies affect international economies